The Power of the Word of God
THE POWER OF THE WORD OF GOD by Lloyd Schuetz
“For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discern-er of the thoughts and intents of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account. Hebrews 4:12-13.
In this message we shall consider together the Importance and Power of the Word of God.
- The Power of the Word of God in Creation.
- In Genesis Chapter 1 we read the words “God Said” repeatedly as He was creating all things.
His Word is creative.
- In John 1:1-3, we read “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.”
- Hebrews 11:3 we read “By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the Word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible”.
- In Hebrews 1:1-3 we are told that God made the worlds through the Lord Jesus Christ by His Son and that He is the express image of His person, and that He upholds all things by the Word of His power…”
- The Word of God in the Incarnation.
- In John 1:1-3 &14 we read that the “Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, The Glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of Grace and Truth”. This passage of scripture is describing what happened when Jesus was born at Bethlehem in the incarnation.
- In 1st Timothy 3:16 we read “And without controversy Great is the mystery of Godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by Angles, Preached among the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up in Glory.”
- God’s Holy Word -the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments are the inspired, God breathed, Inerrant Word of God
- In 2 Timothy 3:14-17 Paul said to Timothy “…from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for Salvation through Faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete thoroughly equipped for every good work”.
- In 2: Peter 1:20-21 we read “Knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit”.
- God has watched over and protected His Holy Word [the Scripture both old and new Testaments through the centuries. What a privilege to read the living inspired word of God today.
- The Written Word of God points and leads to Jesus the Living Word. John 5:39; Luke 24:27.
- Jesus in His High Priestly prayer prayed for us His followers saying “Sanctify them by Your Truth. Your Word is Truth” John 17:17.
God’s Word is likened to –
- Milk 1 Peter 2:2
- Bread Mathew 4:4
- Meat [strong food] Hebrews 5:13-14
- Honey Psalm 19 :10
- Treasure – More valuable than Gold. Psalm 19:10
- Lamp and light Psalm 119:105
- Hammer – Jeremiah 23:29
- Fire – Jeremiah 23:29
- Sharper than a sword. Hebrews 4:12;Ephesins 6:17
- Incorruptible seed 1 Peter 1:23-25
- A Sure Foundation Matthew 7:24-27
- The Word of God is Eternal.
- Psalm 119:89 “For ever,0 Lord your word is settled in Heaven”,
- Luke 21:33. “Heaven and earth will pass away but My words will by no means pass away”
- Isaiah 40:8“. The Word of our God stands forever”
- Throughout the centuries at various times and by various means the enemies of the Word of God have tried to destroy it. But they have fallen, but the Word of God has remained powerful and indestructible and Eternal and is today the most important and most read book in all the world.
- The Word of God in Regeneration.
- 1 Peter 1:23. “Having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the Word of God which lives and abides forever” When we hear the Word of the Gospel, the Holy Spirit takes that Word and quickens it to our hearts and minds and as we accept it by faith and turn from our sins we are born again of the incorruptible seed – The word of God, and the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin and we become ‘Children of God’. John 1:12-13. 1John 1:7-9 – James 1:18 – Titus 3:5
- The Importance of the Word of God in the Christian life.
- 1 Peter 2:2. Milk for the New Believer.
- 4:4. Bread for our daily sustenance.
- Hebrews 5:12-14 meat (solid food) to grow strong in our spiritual life.
- John 15: 3 – John 17:17; Ephesians 5:25-27. The Word of God sanctifies and cleanses us, as we hear it, believe it and obey it.
- Compare also Psalm 1:1-3. Psalm 19:7-11. 119:9-11. 119:105.
- Matthew 7:24-27 and Luke 6:47-49 The Word of God is a Sure, solid, unshakable foundation upon which to build our Spiritual lives, our homes, churches, and ministries upon.
- Preach the Word.
- 2 Timothy 3:15-17; 4:1-8, The Apostle Paul charged Timothy his spiritual son in the faith, and all of us today as well, in these last days, to ‘preach the Word of God’ for ‘it is inspired by God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work’. Paul goes on to say that ‘the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears from the truth, and be turned aside to fables’. Therefore Paul exhorts Timothy to ‘be watchful in all things and endure afflictions, and do the work of an evangelist, and fulfill his ministry. We also today are exhorted to preach the Word of God.
Let us read the Word of God and obey its teaching; Let us meditate upon it and memorize it. Let us build our spiritual lives, our homes our churches and our ministries upon the teaching of the Word of God.