The Value of One Soul
SCRIPTURE READING: John 4:1-42
- Note especially Verse 4: –“He must go through Samaria”.
There are several Important “Musts” in the Gospel of John:
- “Ye ‘Must’ be Born Again”-John 3:7
- “The Son of Man ‘Must’ be lifted up”- John 3:14
- “He ‘Must’ Increase”, but I ‘Must’ decrease-John 3:30
- “He ‘Must’ needs go through Samaria”_ John 4:4
- “ I ‘Must’ work the works of Him that sent me; The night cometh when no man can work”-John 9:4;
- “Other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them also I ‘Must’ bring, and they shall hear my voice; And there shall be one fold and one Shepherd”- John 10:16
- “He ‘Must’ rise again from the dead”-John 20:9
- In this Message I would like to speak especially on the “Must” in John 4:4-“He MUST needs go through Samaria”. Why does the Scripture say that “He MUST needs go through Samaria?” Many of the Jews of that day, because of racial and religious beliefs, avoided going through Samaria, by traveling on the east side of the Jorden River. But Jesus chose to go through Samaria. Why? I believe it was because of the Great Value Jesus placed upon one precious lost Soul.
- In this message I would like to speak about the Value of one soul. What is the True Value of one soul?
- WHAT VALUE DOES GOD PLACE UPON ALL THE SOULS OF MEN, WOMEN, CHILDREN AND YOUTH?
- Note carefully again the Words of John 3:14-17; this passage of Scripture gives us the answer to this question.
- WHAT VALUE DID THE LORD JESUS PLACE UPON THE INDIVIDUAL SOIULS OF MANKIND?
Although Jesus often spoke to large crowds of People, He always had time to minister to the individual.
- A Leper- Matt; 8:1-4
- The Blind Man-Luke 18:35-43
- The Demonized man of Gadare-Luke 8:22-39.
- The Children-Matthew 19:13-15.
- Zacchaeous- Luke 19:1-10
- Nicodemus John 3
- But one of the most notable examples of the Value that the Lord Jesus placed upon the Soul of one human being is in John Chapter 4 where it says that “He MUST NEEDS go through Samaria”; For He knew there was a very needy lost, spiritually thirsty soul in the City of Samara who needed to hear the Good News.
- Observe carefully how Jesus spoke to her and led her to put her faith in Him as the Messiah and Saviour. She in turn became like an evangelist bringing others to the Savior. Many in that City heard Jesus, and believed in Him (John 4:39-42). Jesus saw the people of Samaria as a ‘ripe harvest ready to be reaped’ (John 4:34-38). He was reaping the ‘first fruits’ of this harvest, and later on, after the Day of Pentecost, when the Church was persecuted and scattered in Acts Chapter 8, the Lord used Philip the Evangelist to ‘reap a large harvest’ of precious souls into the Kingdom of God in Samaria! (Acts 8:4-8)! O the importance of reaching On Precious soul for the Lord!
- In Luke 15 in the Parable of –‘the los sheep’- the ‘lost silver-’ and ‘the lost son’, the Lord Jesus pointed out that there is ‘rejoicing in Heaven each time one soul repents’. This is the value that Heaven places upon each soul.
- The Lord Jesus Demonstrated the Great Value He placed upon the lost souls of all , when He died for all at Calvary and He gave His Precious Life’s Blood to be shed for our Redemption and then rose again to be our Lord and Savior.
- Isaiah 53; 1 Cori. 15:1-5; 1 Tim.2:1-6;
- Philippians 2:5-111; 1 Peter 1:18-20.
- THE VALUE THE EARLY CHURCH PLACED UPON THE LOST SOULS OF THIS WORLD.
- Our Lords Great Commission -Matt.28:18-20; Mark 16:15; Luke 24:46-49; John 20:21; Acts 1:8. How did the early Church respond to the Great Commission?
- The Book of Acts records how the Early Church, in the power and direction of the Holy Spirit, carried out their Lords command, proclaiming the Good News of Jesus both in Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria and then to the uttermost parts of their then know world, preaching both to large Crowds, as well as in homes, and to individuals, and leading them to faith in Christ, and discipling them. Each and every soul was important to them.
- THE CHURCH OF TODAY NEEDS A FRESH VISION OF THE VAST RIPENED HARVEST FIELDS ALL AROUND US AND ACCROSS THE WORLD, OF PRECIOUS SOULS FOR WHO CHRIST DIED. EACH SOULS IS OF GREAT VALUE IN GODS SIGHT.
- Note the Words of Jesus in John 4:34-38. “Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields which are ripe already to harvest”
- Note also Matthew 9:37-38
There are many examples, which could be mentioned, which show the value of each precious soul. Each Soul is precious, and they in turn may reach many other precious souls for Christ.
Lord give us a vision of the true value of each precious soul.
In Closing, the words of a song come to mind:
“Lord give me a vision, O help me to see,
The need all around me, soul’s los without thee
Lord make me a blessing, as onward I go,
By telling the story that others may know”.
“Lord give me a vision, of fields that are ripe!
Of sheaves we must gather, err cometh the night!
Dark shadows are gathering,
And some will be lost!
Some neighbour or brother,
How awful the cost”!
“Lord give me a vision, lest empty I stand;
There at the great Judgment,
No sleeves in my hand!
No labour of love, to offer my King!
With nothing but leaves then,
The Master to bring”!
Word in Season – Lloyd Schuetz